- Markets for industrial hydrogen production solutions are here NOW! And growing significantly
- Incentives for companies in this sector are growing across the US, Europe and Asia
- Valuations in, and associated with, this market increasing delivering significant Investor returns
- PEM electrolysers are expensive, of limiting efficiency using exotic/expensive materials e.g. platinum, palladium
- Today’s tech NOT cheap enough for biggest market, Steam Reformation worth $117.4bn per year
- A GREEN, cost effective solution to replace steam reformation now exists:
- At half the cost of existing technologies
- 25% more efficient than existing technologies
- Quicker and simpler to build than existing technologies
- The company developing new tech is in an ESPCR project incl. Nottingham, Reading and Newcastle Universities
- Investment in company available funding accelerated R&D programme delivering solution to industry in 3 – 4 years.
Opportunities for a low-cost hydrogen production solution that is NOT PEM is now significant, and growing.
What is the catalyst for the commercial interest?
- Bloomberg NEF estimates that there will be an $11 trillion investment in production and storage of hydrogen worldwide through to 2050.
- In 2020 Europe announced its path to 100% renewable hydrogen by 2050.
- EU estimates that clean hydrogen could supply 24% of the world’s energy demand, with annual sales of approx. €630 billion.
- EU’s objective to support installation of 6G of renewable hydrogen electrolysers to produce approx. 1m tonnes of renewable hydrogen.
- EU also states hydrogen to become intrinsic to Europe’s integrated energy system by 2030. At least 40 gigawatts of renewable hydrogen electrolysers to produce approx. 10m tonnes of renewable hydrogen by 2030.
- Large corporates now shifting focus to transition to hydrogen as part of their energy strategy, e.g. Cummins Inc, BP, BG, Navistar Inc, Shell, Air Liquide/Air Products, Linde etc.
What does this mean for companies in the hydrogen sector?
- ITM Power delivered returns of over 1800% to Investors over a period of less than 2 years. Company Valuation now £2.67bn
- McPhy Energy in France delivered over 1700% with a valuation now of €1bn
- Ceres Power delivered over 700% with a valuation now of £2.29bn
- NEL in Norway delivered 380% with a valuation of over $3bn
- In the USA several quoted companies working in this space have also delivered significant returns to Investors:
- Bloom Energy (NYSE:BE) up 221%
- Ballard Power Systems (NASDAQ:BLDP) up 174%
- FuelCell Energy (NASDAQ:FCEL) up 447%
- Plug Power (NASDAQ:PLUG) up 575%.